Friday, June 29, 2007

Rory Stewart

Boyd Tonkin thinks Rory Stewart ought to have won the Samuel Johnson Prize for non-fiction. Listen to what he said about my long-term celebrity crush:

"Rory Stewart's Occupational Hazards - his tragically farcical record of a year spent trying to govern two provinces of southern Iraq - ought to survive as literature, not solely as an eye-witness chronicle. For it also tells a story about inner turmoil and bewilderment, as a romantic neo-colonial ruler finds himself knocked sideways in the blinding sandstorms of post-Saddam reality."

Read the rest of the article here: http://arts.independent.co.uk/books/features/article2690130.ece

There's also a profile on him in National Geographic, for those who are interested:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/photography/afghanistan/rory-stewart.html

Ok, I'm getting back to work now. I promise I'll do something interesting this weekend that I can write about instead of just posting things I read on the internet.

1 comment:

Mom said...

E,

Your blog name translates per google to "the fond of walking one."

I think Rory is the man for you.

Love Mum