Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Working Girl


I am at the end of my lunch break, so I thought I would write a little bit about what I have been doing.

First, my roommates, Aoife, Katie, and Olivia. They're "grand." Aoife is a pharmacist at the local hospital, Katie's a pediatric nurse, and Olivia is a software engineer. Anne, the girl whose room I'm in, is a teacher. So, they weren't lying when they said they were "young professional women!" They are really sweet and have all been so helpful showing me the ropes, and Aoife and I spent a lot of time hanging out this weekend (she is teaching me about Gaelic football and hurling). I know I've said this about 10 times, but I feel so lucky to have found this place to live - the girls all seem like people I would have been friends with, the house is really comfortable (we even have cable TV and a dishwasher - the lap of luxury!), and the location is perfect. I am going to try to walk home from work tonight to see how long it takes.

Then, my work. I have finally been assigned my first project. I am working on a campaign for immigrant children - perfect! Here in Ireland, they have what they call a "Universal Child Benefit" - completely unthinkable in our country - which means that they give a payout (I think about €160 a month) to every child, regardless of means or status. Any parent can register for it when they give birth. Anyway, it used to be applied to all children in Ireland, but because of tougher immigration measures, they are now denying it to many immigrants. This is silly because the whole point of the benefit in the first place is to prevent child poverty, and while wealthy Irish people are still eligible, many of the most needy children are going without! So, my job is to look at European Union law and see if this is legal. I have a big box full of files to start on, and it's a little bit scary, but it's very exciting. The people here are great and really laid back; I think I've had about 4 cups of tea so far today. I had lunch with the other American intern, Brian, who is starting law school in Michigan next year if he's not accepted to the Peace Corps. He lives with some other American students kind of near where I live, and he's been here for about a month, so he's given me lots of tips on places to go around town. So, I am settling in very well and really happy to be busy!

All right, my lunch break is over, so back to the grind!
(There's a picture of me having lunch with some of the other interns. From left: me, Catherine, Gillian, Christina, Grainne, and Katie.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darling granddaughter E: What a thrill to see the pix and to hear about your surroundings and your first day at work (what an interesting and challenging project--right up your alley). Thanks for bringing us up to date. The people you have met sound like lovely, interesting people..we are sure you will enjoy getting to know them! Talked briefly with your mother today-she is fine. Take care of yourself..we are glad you are back in Ireland! We love you dearly. Numm and Papa