Sunday, June 17, 2007

Bloomsday







Yesterday we ran so many errands! I think I have just about everything checked off my list. We went out to my house and dropped off my luggage, and I am so excited about where I'll be living. I haven't met any of my roommates yet, but I met the girl I'm subletting from, and she is lovely ("grand" as they would say here). Actually, she's going to be travelling around the Western U.S. this summer while I'm over here! The house is cozy, and in a nice neighborhood, and it's an easy bus ride into the city center. I'll post pictures as soon as I have them. Also, they finally brought my suitcase out. (So I understand. I haven't actually been reunited with it, but the people at Aer Lingus told me that they dropped it off with one of my roommates.)

Kyla and John got here yesterday evening, and we wasted no time getting right into the Irish groove. We went out to dinner, and then crammed into Oliver St. John Gogarty's for some live traditional Irish music. Yesterday was Bloomsday - the day on which the action of Ulysses takes place - and we wanted to make it to some Joyce readings, but there really wasn't much going on. But Kyla and I are going to a Yeats exhibit at the National Library tomorrow, so I should get my literary fix!

Yesterday was also a bit of an adventure. We were in a bus accident (just a fender bender, but we got our statements taken by the Gardai!), and we had to switch hostels because ours was full. This hostel was literally the sketchiest place I have ever stayed in my life. I mean, I have shared a room with 7 German bikers (Hell's Angels, not Lance Armstrong) in Sligo and stayed in the red light district in Madrid, but The Cobblestones in Dublin takes the cake. I slept with my purse under my pillow. Thank goodness I'm staying with Kyla and John for the next few nights! And then off to (hopefully) sunny Portugal!

Now we're going to meet Kyla and John at their hotel and check out the World Championships of street performing that's taking place in Merrion Square!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tita Hawkins: So glad that you have retrieved your suitcase; Kyla abnd John and Emily and your buds are there; all seems right with the world. You appear to be settling in to being in Ireland, and we know you will have a wonderful time in Portugal. Your mother says that "blogs are better than sliced bread! She can keep up with your comings and goings." Take care of yourself, and continue to communicate!! We love you, all the way to the sky and beyond! Numm and Papa

Anonymous said...

Okay, I take back all of my doubting comments;-) I'm so sorry they lost your bag! That seems to be de rigeur for intercontinental travel these days. Glad to hear, however, that you've been reunited with it and that your house is nice. Can't wait to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

E: Glad our comment was recorded. We are really in unchartered waters! Don't know whether to collapse comments, or save (don't know how!) etc., but are having fun and appreciate your providing the opportunity for us to try something new! We love you dearly. Numm and Papa

Anonymous said...

The diamond pusher sounds dreamy. Why can't the Irish spell "center" the propre waye?