Friday, June 22, 2007

Porto







It was such luck to meet Giulia and Genevieve at my hostel! Yesterday we went to Barcelos, where they have a big Thursday market, and we wandered around and bought some souvenirs. I even bartered! Poor girls, every 5 minutes I was like, "How do you say this in Portuguese?" But they were really good-natured about it. I never would have thought to go there if I hadn't met them, so I'm really glad I did. Also they were really fun to be with, and it was nice to have some company!

They were also on their way to Porto, but they were just stopping for the afternoon. Genevieve had been there before, but Giulia hadn't, so Genevieve was going to give Giulia a quick walking tour of the city before they caught the bus back to Lisbon. I tagged along with them, which was perfect because we went all over and I got to know my way around. Porto is the second-largest city in Portugal (still not that big), and my guidebook described it as "Dickensian" and I can see why. The Ribeira district, down by the river, is hilly and full of crooked cobbled narrow streets with old buildings built right up on the street. In fact, the whole city is hilly, and above the Douro River, it immediately rises up on both sides. I will write more details about the city later - I don't have much time now and I am hungry for breakfast! I can't wait to post some pictures.

After the girls left, I found a really nice cafe - a typical European cafe, with mirrored walls, a mahogany bar and small wooden tables with white tableclothes, and smart white-jacketed waiters. I had dinner and some wine and listened to some live music. "Fado" is the traditional music of Portugal, and I read somewhere that it is "the music of longing." I think Portuguese is just the most beautiful and romantic language, and I really wish I could speak it. The band consisted of two men playing different types of guitars, and a handsome white-haired man singing. The show was pretty short - only about an hour and a half, but I could have sat there listening for hours!

And now I'm off to enjoy my last day in Portugal. Bom dia!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tita: We found a photo tour of Porto and viewed it..saw some of the waterfront area you toured..passed it on to your mom. Can't believe your trip to Portugal is over, but will be glad to have you settled back in Dublin where we can "post" you some copies of People magazine. Take care, and enjoy your last day, and your flight back. We love you dearly. Numm and Papa