Friday, June 22, 2007

Adeus, Portugal!




This is probably the last time I will write for a couple of days - I don't have Internet at my house in Dublin, so I'll have to find a cafe either with computers or wireless! I will definitely get to one Monday.

Today was another beautiful day in Porto - I walked around for most of the morning and went to the market, then went wine-tasting on the other side of the river at the only port house still owned by a Portuguese company (Ferreira), then had lunch (arroz com bacalhao), and am now going to go try to catch some of the Sao Joao festivities! Apparently I have stumbled into the feast day of the patron saint of this region! The big day isn't until tomorrow, but there has been stuff going on all week - today I witnessed the taping of a TV show about it in one of the squares, and there are decorations up all over. One of the traditions of this holiday is that everyone hits each other over the head with plastic hammers. I am so glad I was warned about this - can you imagine that happening if you didn't know? I would probably punch the guy. I also saw part of an outdoor performance of Jesus Cristo Superstar. I'm not the biggest Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but I can say that it sounds better translated into Portuguese. It was really fun.

That's all for now!

1 comment:

Sergio said...

Vieja dear,

I envy your voyage and I wish I was with you. Although it is exciting to read you blog because it allows me to experience it with you as if I were there.

Can’t wait to continue reading your life abroad through your blog—this is the beauty of globalization.

Last but not least, I miss you; and love you immensely.

Baccio Baccio.