Thursday, June 21, 2007

Festas de Sao Joao







I had wondered if there might be some kind of festival going on here in Braga: the main square is so brightly decorated, there are food and craft booths set up everywhere, there was music playing on loudspeakers in the streets yesterday, and there were really far too many people about than could possibly be normal for a weekday afternoon. But what do I know about Portugal? Maybe it's like this all the time.

As I was walking back toward my hostel last night, I heard music and saw a small crowd gathered around one of those temporary event stages. Four men and three women were on stage playing traditional music, and in front of the crowd there was a space where one old woman was dancing by herself. My heart was just breaking for this old woman with her hair pulled back tightly from her face, sightless expression, and precise movements that evoked an absent partner. But soon a couple joined her, and then another, and then a pair of middle-aged women, and some teenagers, and soon a young boy climbed up and started dancing on the stage and had to be shooed off my the musicians. Later, a younger woman started dancing with the old woman, who retained the same unseeing expression of concentration.

It is the Festas de Sao Joao.

This morning I'm going with Giulia and Genevieve, two girls (Italian and Canadian, respectively) I met at my hostel who have been studying in Lisbon, to Barceloes, a traditional market town, and then on to Porto.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes - this keyboard is not very good, and I'm running out of time.

4 comments:

Sir James Hawkins said...

It is kind of creepy that it knew my identity...it said "Choose an Identity" then three choices..."James," and then below it, "Other" and then below that, "Anonymous." I seriously did nothing but click on it.
Anyway, this is a sweetass blog.
I miss you. If you have any ideas about our eastern europe trip, we should figure it out!
Love you.
J

Anonymous said...

James is a dodo head...don't listen to him.
We are glad you are having so much fun and jealous that you did not take us along.


Dad

Anonymous said...

Darling granddaughter E: Numm and Papa left a comment which apparently did not go through. He it is (jisted). We took a tour of Praga today via 45 images entered onto the web by a visitor and she (he) displayed images of many of the places you described yesterday when you went "up the hill" and again today when you described the celebration at the town square. We forwarded the web site to your mother so that she, as we, could follow your travels, and learn about Portugal as you describe it. We are thankful to you for furthering our education and so appreciate your taking us along on your journey to Portugal. Praga is, of course, rich in culture, beauty, and religious significance, and we are thankful to you for sharing this experience with us. Take care of yourself. ATSTTSAB!!! Numm and Papa

Anonymous said...

E: The word in the first sentence is "here" not "he"..Sorry that the first comment did not reach you, since it was more expansive than the second one we sent, but it contained the same sense of love and affection that we hope the second one did. Papa