Friday, August 24, 2007

Sunny Days

The last couple of days have actually been hot and sunny! Which makes me wonder why I am staying late at work on Friday...it's nice to have the free Internet, anyway.

On Wednesday, Moya (the solicitor I work for) took me out to lunch in another part of North Dublin, and we actually got to sit outside at a cafe, which was such a treat. She told me about some nice beaches just outside of the city, and said that I should ask Pauline, the legal secretary, for directions, as she lives out near there. When I asked Pauline, she offered to give me a ride, and she drove me up to Malahide and showed me around, and then dropped me in Portmarnock to walk along the beach. It was an absolutely beautiful day (unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera!), and I rolled up my jeans and walked in the water for awhile. I could see the next village down, so I thought I'd go ahead and walk all the way there, but after about an hour and a half of walking, when the village was plainly in view, I came to an estuary! The only way to get across would have been to swim. So I turned and walked all the way back, which wasn't too bad because it was a beautiful night.

I mentioned to Colin, the director of NCLC, that I was interested in immigration law, so he arranged for me to meet one of the barristers at the Immigrant Council of Ireland, a local NGO that provides migrants with advice and advocacy. So, yesterday morning I went downtown and met with her. They are really busy down there - the waiting room was packed - but she took a lot of time with me, and told me all about the kind of work that they do, and how she came to work there, and it was really nice. They do a lot of policy work as well as representing clients, so it was great to get a glimpse of that.

Today during lunch, I booked the hostels for my Eastern Europe trip with James. I am so excited, and can't believe it's only 2 weeks away!

I think that brings us up to date! It is Friday night, and I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I have to go home and help my roommate Katie get ready - she's meeting her new boyfriend's family tonight. Very exciting.

I'll try to get on and post some pictures later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you were a born blogger! :-)

Anonymous said...

Titto,

We love your update...when I was in Belfast in 1997 we saw evidence of the Troubles...we stopped for lunch and in the distance (maybe 10 blocks away) there was a minor skirmish and a car was on fire...we saw the smoke and it was on the news in Dublin that evening. On our last day we had lunch in an old hotel as we drove from Donegal to Dublin and the next day a bomb damaged the hotel which was hosting a wedding. Surreal ...

I thought N Ire was very friendly...we spent most of our time in Portrush and saw none of the strife. We took the bus to (London)Derry and the streets were literally divided with paramilitary stuff everywhere. They don't bother Americans...both sides were too fearful of creating bad publicity in this country and alienating those providing all the money. There was a piece in the Irish Times estimating that millions of dollars were pooring into N Ireland each week to support both sides--more Catholic money from Boston than Protestant support. Major US politicians like Tip Oneal and Ted Kennedy were suspected of contributing and raising moneys. I wonder if the money dried up if the outcome might have been better and faster. I fear that many so-called 'freedom fighters' become a little too enamored of the money and attention and may prolong the outcome for their benefit rather than the greater good. (I admit to some cynicism) On the other hand the British have failed in a very real way to create a just society. It is clear that Protestand Ireland is much wealthier and better employed that Catholic Ireland. It is also clear that much of the IRA has evolved into a crime ridden gang--dealing in drugs and prostitution and protection rackets. Integrating the former paramilitaries into a society that is still socially and economically and physically divided is going to be quite a challenge...too many opportunities for mischief and too tempting to create disruptions (and a subsequent need for paramilitary posturing).

I love you and Titta, you are still my best burrita