Friday, August 10, 2007

Kenneth Foster

I am sure you are all aware of how very strongly I oppose the death penalty, but no matter what you think about the policy, I'm sure you'd agree that Kenneth Foster should not be put to death. According to Texas law, it is possible to receive the death penalty if you are involved in a crime during which a murder was committed. No one seems to dispute the facts that Kenneth Foster (a black man) was 80 feet away in his car when Michael LaHood (a white man) was shot, and that Foster was not aware that a murder was going to take place. Yet he is scheduled to be executed for LaHood's murder on August 15. This can't be right.

If you have a minute, click on this link and send a message to Gov. Rick Perry to stay Foster's execution: http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ncadp/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=12296.

For more information, check out: http://www.ncadp.org.

In related news, The Nation has an excellent story about the American criminal justice system: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070827/lazare. Just in case anybody's interested.

Ok, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Back to work.

No comments: