We were in Zagreb for less than twenty-four hours, but it was more than enough time to appreciate the city's charm and see just about all the available sights (Zagreb is a city of museums, which are apparently all closed on Mondays. Oh, well). For all that the names of the countries we are visiting bring to mind images of war and instability (even in the prologue to Black Lamb and Grey Falcon, her epic book on Yugoslavia, which I am now reading, Rebecca West writes, "Violence was, indeed, all I knew of the Balkans: all I knew of the South Slavs" - that was written in 1941, which gives you an idea of the history of this region), I can't imagine a much more peaceful place than the city of Zagreb. It is quiet and busy but unhurried.
Waiting in the airport last night, I wrote a long description of our day in Zagreb, but we are anxious to explore Dubrovnik, so I will have to type it up later! Dubrovnik is gorgeous, the guesthouse we're staying in is so charming, and we are having a great time.
Waiting in the airport last night, I wrote a long description of our day in Zagreb, but we are anxious to explore Dubrovnik, so I will have to type it up later! Dubrovnik is gorgeous, the guesthouse we're staying in is so charming, and we are having a great time.
No comments:
Post a Comment