Monday, July 2, 2007

My Weekend



I learned something important this morning: weekends go by too fast no matter where you are. I can't believe it's already Monday. I had two of the most relaxing, pleasant days I've had in a long time: I slept about 10 hours a night, read an entire book (The End of the Affair, by Graham Greene - it was so good, I couldn't put it down), and took lots of long walks. On Saturday I walked down the Royal Canal and went to Glasnevin Cemetery, where lots of famous people are buried. I couldn't find Michael Collins, but I did find Roger Casement and the big rock they have dedicated to Parnell (pictures will be forthcoming). Walking around cemeteries has always been one of my favorite things to do, ever since I was a little kid. I never get tired of reading all the inscriptions, looking at the monuments, seeing the things people have left.

On Sunday I headed out to the Irish Museum of Modern Art, which is a lot further from the city center than my Lonely Planet map led me to believe, so I had another good, long walk, this time through town. The museum is in an old hospital (I think it's called Royal Hospital Kilmainham), and the building and grounds are almost more interesting than the art. I spent a long time in the garden, imagining World War I veterans convalescing among the statues and hedges, and in the open courtyard, where there is a Miro and Calder sculpture exhibition taking place. I spent most of my time in the Lucian Freud exhibition; I'll have to go back to see the permanent collection and the Anne Madden retrospective. I'm glad I have an excuse to go back - I really enjoyed it! Sunday night I came home and ordered takeaway with my roommate Olivia and watched the Concert for Diana, which was kind of depressing and I had missed Lily Allen, so I went to bed early. And now it is Monday morning and I should get back to work!
(Above - Glasnevin Cemetary and IMMA)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Titta,

Remember when we went to Canterbury for your 10th birthday, you spent hours in the cemetaries looking at old Headstones. We saw the Old Norman Castle--just a shell now, and the church at St. Mildreds which had lots of old tombstones.
At Christmas we had quite the trip through the necropolis at Glasgow.

I love you sweetheart.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Darling grandaughter E: Glad you had such a wonderful weekend. Reminds us of walking through the cemetery on July 4th, in Naperville, with a temperature of 100 degrees (with James a baby!!) You had a pad and paper and were busy copying words off the "stones"! The only way we could get you to leave was to suggest we go for some ice cream! Looking forward to seeing the pictures! Love you, atwttsab!! Numm and Papa

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth:

I wish I were there with you - I am so glad you had a good week-end. Sounds like you are in a good location to see a lot of interesting places. I am enjoying your blog - it gives me a boost every day to read about your adventures.

Love you, Auntie