Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sampson Fellows' Visit











Hi, everybody!

I know it's taken me until Thursday to write about my weekend, but I feel like I'm still recovering! Friday night Liz and I went to a barbecue hosted by the Dublin Bar Association's young lawyers' division and ended up staying out much later than we planned. (Liz is from Australia, and she's FLAC's volunteer coordinator.) On Saturday, the Sampson fellows came to visit. It was so nice to see some familiar faces! It was also great to hear about what they've been doing in Belfast and Galway. Emily Alvarado is in Belfast, and she has actually been able to write briefs and go to court on a couple of asylum cases, which sounds fascinating. Emily Jarvis and Michiko are also doing mostly research, and I think they're enjoying it. I'm looking forward to getting out and visiting all of them in the next few weekends.

Saturday night we went to my local, the Beaumont House Pub, for some dinner and drinks. Now I know why my roommates don't hang out there - it's mostly middle aged men and the bar staff is really rude! Also, they play country music from the 90's, which seems really anachronistic, although I was having a hard time refraining from singing along. Anyway, we still had a lot of fun, and it was nice to be so close to home! Sunday we mostly walked around Dublin, and wandered around some areas of the city that I hadn't seen. We had lunch at a wonderful cafe called Gruel (I will add pictures!) and just as it started to rain, we escaped into the National Museum, which has a collection of Irish artifacts. So, we got lots of nice touristy activities in. On Monday, they came with me to work, and the whole office took us out to lunch.

I feel like I've been really busy this week, but I'm not sure what I've been doing with myself. I can't believe I've been here for a month already! The summer is flying by.
Above pictures:
Me, Emily J, and Michiko with Catherine Hickey, the director of FLAC
Me and the Emilys at a pub
The Sampson fellows at Gruel
Me and Emily A in my kitchen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

E,
Thank you for updating your blog. I love to read it. I'm glad all is well and you are having fun. Take care. I love you bunches.
Mum

Anonymous said...

Darling granddaughter Elizabeth: What an exciting and adventurous time you are having!! We are so glad that you are having an opportunity to visit with your friends and peers, and that you continue to be so upbeat about your surroundings! We are so very proud of you and are so thankful you are maintaining this blog!! (Read our recent email to you on the subject!!) We talked with James today and he is really upbeat about your upcoming adventures! Seems as though everything is falling into place!! We surely hope so.. We have copied your blog, with comments, and plan to turn it into a best seller, unless you beat us to it!! Take care of yourself..you are very dear. We love you atwttsab!! Numm and Papa